Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Films of 2009 so far

What I have seen in theaters so far this year. Well i just saw Wolverine. They need to get rid of that X men origins part. More on this film later.

I saw Valkyrie to start off the year with a couple of friends back home in Indiana at the theater I used to work at. I remember the most about the film was afterwards was talking outside with my friends as our ears froze off. I do not miss that super cold weather here in Los Angeles. Valkyrie was a pretty good political triller with a great cast and with a plot where we already know the end. The characters were pretty good and depicted well about those german soldiers who didnt agree with Hitler and his evil ambitions. I think they did the best they could with the movie but were hurt by the pacing of the film and too much focus on Tom Cruise character. This filmed seem more about Tom Cruise character and the operation was only there to tell about Tom Cruise's character. It was a good film.

I saw Underworld: Rise of Lycans which was a better film that I thought it would be covering the relationship between a lycan and a vampire. The woman who fell in love with a slave which sparked a revolt leading to an endless war which concluded in the first two parts of the Underworld series. It was cool to see this film with a different kind of style without the urban setting and the guns that the made the first two films work. Action is great, classic story, and if you are a fan of the first two and missed this. RENT THIS. But if you dont like vampire, werewolves, or medieval violence this film wont change your mind.

Next was Curious Case of Benjamin Button which reminded me of Forest Gump as an unusual man makes his mark over the world over many decades of the early 20th century. I really thought that this would be an instant classic and couldnt wait to add it to my home dvd collection. For some reason this movie came up short for me though I enjoyed seeing it. It had heart, tragedy, great performances, and amazing settings it still failed to move me like Forest Gump. He was a young at heart old man and became a decrepited child. I did like how the other characters reacted to him- sailor who couldnt believe this old man was just starting to experience life and getting laid, his mother who loved him despite his oddity, and the girlfriend who found only a short time in the crossing of their years to make it work. Its a good film a little long and I enjoyed the first half of the film a lot better than the 2nd half.

Watchmen - the great graphic novel turned into a movie about the lives of superheroes in a dark realistic/ nihilistic world. After seeing 300 and reading the novel I thought this was going to be amazing or like so many films ruin the original material. It neither for me. Yes it stuck close to the book and I was amazed they kept in all of the self reflection that was in the novel, but it was missing the excitement of 300 that only films can bring. I felt like I watching the book and not seeing the movie. Yes I enjoyed the movie but there no was wow factor. No jaw dropping. I did appreciate the soundtrack to the movie. Looking forward to seeing it on DVD or blu-ray.

Finally back to the first film of the Movie Summer Schedule- WOLVERINE. which will be covered in my post later on this week and my films I cant wait to see the rest of the summer.

No comments: