Thursday, May 14, 2009

Star Trek

I am not a trekkie. I have seen a couple of Kirk movies so I least knew the characters. I've seen a few Generation episodes and enjoyed Star Trek: First Contact. I knew the hype going in and that many of my friends greatly enjoyed it as well as critics. Though some critics attacked the film for not giving us the deeper issues that were more common in star trek movies and compared this film to Star Wars instead. The farmboy, who is compelled by a friend of his father to come out into space, meets interesting characters, is set on the final path to reach his destiny on a snowy planet, defeats an enemy, saves a planet, and is given a hero's celebration. Oh and he doesnt get the girl. Yeah sounds like elements of star wars to me.

I was blown away by the opening scene, which may have been the best part of the movie. I am glad I saw it on IMAX. It was rich in detail, action, story, acting, and music. I had to buy that piece of score right away. It starts off as a future Romulan ship destroys the USS kelvin and killing Kirk Sr. in the process who was captain of the ship for 12 min but saved many lives. Romulans are after Spock. We next see the growing up of Kirk and Spock on their planets and how they enter Star Fleet Academy. Chris Pine was a great find as Kirk and I already was a fan of the Actor playing Spock who plays Sylar on Heroes (Zachary Quinto). The rest of the cast was pretty good as well. I couldnt even recognize Eric Bana as our Baddie Nero except sometimes in his voice. Karl Urban was surprisingly good as the Doctor "Bones".

Romulans after 25 years are back. Many ships are destroyed by their massive ship before the Enterprise and our heroes arrive. They are able to do some good but fail. Spock is the new captain and has a big fight with Kirk. Eventually Kirk becomes captain he is meant to be and with the help of his crew saves Earth and destroys the baddies. Romulans baddies were fine but forgetful. I wish I could say more but it would spoil the movie. Their are many great surprises. The action is great, the look of the film is great, SEE THIS IN IMAX, and characters were great. I loved Spock in this film for a couple of reasons (wink, wink). The only thing about this film was that it gave you no time to catch your breath. Live long and prosper.

No comments: